February 2015 – Best articles for Physician Leaders
- The best thing about Youtube and the internet is one can spend hundreds of hours learning from Malcolm Gladwell and set up a blog with his most interesting talks. I hope to meet Gladwell in person one day!
- In a talk in Connecticut, Gladwell spoke about how health insurance should be catastrophic care and health insurance should not cover the costs for having a baby (these costs are definable and predictable for 90 percent of deliveries and should be paid for out of pocket like we do other goods and services) but be available for unpredictable outcomes (i.e. emergency c-section, complication). Agree?
- Vaccines and viruses! It’s not about the data! -> Doctors Learn to Talk Vaccines. AND Judgment calls – intuition, hard-work, a little luck, and courage when there the challenge in unprecedented and unknown. You don’t know what you don’t know. Trial by Ebola – How Dallas Rallied to Prevent an Epidemic. AND Finally a book on the real reason people don’t vaccinate. By understanding the why, we can move them to do the right thing. “But Biss understands what appeals to these mothers: “I do not think they are idiots. But I do think they may be indulging in a variety of preindustrial nostalgia that I too find seductive.”
- Shocking, but true? This changes everything. Diet and exercise not enough obesity experts say. AND – The Government’s Bad Diet Advice – “FOR two generations, Americans ate fewer eggs and other animal products because policy makers told them that fat and cholesterol were bad for their health. Now both dogmas have been debunked in quick succession.“
- I know you want to know. What Doctors Make – Variations in salary are drastic and opaque.
- Describes brilliantly both the challenges and promise of 21st century medicine. In your medical center, do you have three groups of doctors? Reality-Based Policy and the Digital Doctor: An Interview with Mark Smith, MD, MBA, founder of California Healthcare Foundation.
- Winning will be who provides the best primary care experience. This is what the future of primary care will look like. – A Conversation with Rushika Fernandopulle, MD, Co-founder and CEO, Iora Health. Iora Health (direct pay primary care) been expanding, met with CareMore leadership (coverage in California and Virginia) and partnered with ZDoggMD in Las Vegas.
Outside Health Care
- How do they do what they do? Interview with Apple’s Jonathan Ive. The Shape of Things to Come – How an industrial designer became Apple’s greatest product.
- What if newer destroys our future and we don’t see it? Vint Cerf, a “father of the internet”, says he is worried that all the images and documents we have been saving on computers will eventually be lost. One of my favorite films – Side by Side – which looks at the revolution in movie making between film and digital with the industries top directors which each side passionate about their medium.
- “Trust your eyes and ears. The data are your tools, not your master...In the early 1990s Starbucks hit a slow patch. The data on why weren’t clear…. [Starbucks CEO] Schultz, the Starbucks CFO and the board recommended a deeper data dive. But Behar had visited stores, talked with employees and knew the score. The problem, he discovered, wasn’t complicated: New employees weren’t buying into the Starbucks culture; older employees felt alienated from headquarters. Putting his career and reputation on the line, Behar told Schultz and the Starbucks board, “We don’t need more data. Our problem is simple. Our employees are unhappy. Is that enough data for you?””
- Would you buy a bed without testing it? Millenials are! Casper’s bed in a box huge millennial hit.
- One of the most influential concepts for me as an individual and parent – do you have a fixed or growth mindset? Stanford Professor Carol Dweck: The power of believing that you can improve.
- Success is not about money — it’s about controlling how you spend your time.
- Our issues of work-life balance are simply a reflection of society, right? Why the modern world is bad for your brain
- One heck of a Jedi mind trick! – To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This.
Youtube – Doc Mike Evans – Quality Improvement in Health Care
What did I miss? What else would you add?